North Wales Borders Vale of Clwyd Tour
Arts and Crafts
This region of Wales through the Medieval Ages was a disputed borderland between the English Kings and Welsh Principalities of Gwynedd to the west and Powys to the south.
North East Wales is acknowledged as An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and opens up to some of the most scenic views and countryside in Wales as we travel along the River Clwyd and over the Clwydian Mountains.
We explore along country lanes, and out of the way places, where you come across renowned ceramic pottery and art galleries, and antique centres. Pass through small villages with their ancient churches and holy wells where Pilgrims stopped to pray and perhaps visit a local pub on the way.
Visit medieval towns of Rhuddlan, Ruthin and Denbigh and see an eclectic mix of architecture from black and white timbered framed houses to ruined medieval castles.
And for those wishing to discover the gastronomic delights of the area then what better way than to follow the Clywdian Range Food Trail explore award winning handmade bread, cheese, pies and other delights.
Places to visit
- Bodelwyddan Castle Estate and National Portrait Gallery
- Rhuddlan: small town with its Castle standing on the banks of the River Clwyd
- St. Asaph: smallest Cathedral and village now officially declared a city.
- Afonwen Craft and Antique Centre
- Countryside of Vale of Clwyd
- Ruthin: market Town
- Go off route to explore villages and country side as we make our way high up into The Clwydian range to Park up at Moel Famau view point and Walk Part of Offas Dyke, ancient border between Wales and England.
- Walking tour of unspoilt small market towns of Ruthin or Denbigh and see a wealth of interesting architecture from black and white timber framed town houses to ruined 13th c Castles.
- Visit a church with an early 15thc Jesse window probably the finest of all Welsh Windows, and take a short walk to a Pilgrims Holy Well.
Just a few more of the many interesting places in the area
- St. Winfreds Well, Holywell
- Bodhyrddran Hall
- Denbigh Castle
- Ruthin Castle
- Ruthin Gaol
Please note this is only a summary itinerary, for rates and bespoke tours please contact us.
Entrance fees to attractions are not included in any tour.