Borderlands and Vale of Llangollen Tour
This Borderlands and Vale of Llangollen Tour will take us to the south of the Clwydian Mountain range with great views of rolling hills and farmlands of the Dee Valley and Vale of Llangollen. Separating the Borderlands of North East Wales and England, the River Dee winds its way through leafy valleys, alongside steam train rail tracks, horse-drawn canal boats and past historic towns and villages.
Starting with a Steam Train ride and morning coffee in Bala, see Bison at Rhug Farm, stopping for lunch in the pretty town of Llangollen. In the afternoon you can visit the National Trust Property of Erddig Estate and Gardens, there are so many options for a tour in this area you will be spoilt for choice.
Example Borderlands and Vale of Llangollen tour
- Scenic drive and photo views as we drive down the spectacular Horseshoe Pass
- Stop off at Valle Crucis Abbey see the ruins of the 12thc Cistercian Abbey painted by JMW Turner in 18th c.
- Stop at Llangollen Canal, enjoy a leisurely ride on a horse drawn barge along the canal or take a stroll along the tow path.
- Into Llangollen, take time for refreshments or a few hours to explore this charming town with its many attractions nestled on the banks of The River Dee.
- See Plas Newydd home of the eccentric Ladies of Llangollen a unique story of two ladies escaping from social pressures in 18th c Ireland.
- Continue our journey to walk over the Pontcysyllte Aquaduct built 126ft high to carry the Llangollen Canal over the River Dee and known as the ‘Stream in the sky’ given World Heritage Status in 2009.
- Visit Chirk Castle Estate and Gardens National Trust Property occupied for hundreds of years.
Here are just a few of the many attraction in the area which can be incorporated into a Borderlands and Vale of Llangollen tour.
- Llangollen Railway
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct World Heritage Site 126 tf high ‘stream in the sky’
- Errddig House, Estate and Gardens, National Trust Properties.
- Bala Lake Railway – Rheilffordd Llyn Tegid
- Rhug Organic Farm
- Rhug Chapel
Please note this is only a summary of the tour, for rates and bespoke tours please contact us.
Entrance fees to attractions are not included in any tour.